Diabetes PreventionWelcome to the Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Project!
The focus of this project is on medical nutrition therapy (MNT) for individuals who are at high risk for type 2 diabetes, such as individuals with prediabetes (including children and adolescents) and adults with metabolic syndrome.
The primary goals of MNT are to improve glycemic control and minimize the impact of other comorbidities, such as obesity, hypertension and disorders of lipid metabolism, in order to prevent progression to type 2 diabetes.
The focus of this analysis was to separate out the impact of each intervention , on specified outcomes, without the influence of weight loss.
Highlights of this project include:
- Seventeen (17) Evidence-based recommendations
- Evidence analysis under eleven (11) topic areas.
- Project Team
The following individuals contributed their valuable time and expertise to this project:
- Patricia G. Davidson, DCN, MS, RDN, CDE, Chair
- Micki D. Hall, MS, RD, LD, CDE
- Healther Holden-Burns, MEd, RD, LD, CDE
- Shelley Mesznik, MA, RD, CDE, CDN
- Hollie Raynor, PhD, RD, LDN
- Virginia Uhley, PhD, RD
- Jeanene J. Fogli, PhD, RD, LDN (resigned)
- Andra K. Garber, PhD (resigned)
- Erica K. Gradwell, MS, RD
- Ivonne Angler, MMSc, LND, RD
- Sue Benson-Davies, DCN, MPH, RD
- Laura Cook, PhD, RD, ND(FL)
- Leonore Hodges, PhD, RD, LD
- Micah Horvitz, MS, RD
- Nadia Marzella, MS, RD, LDN
- Laura Newton, MA, RD, LD
- Ann-Frances Sutherlin, MS, RD, LD
- Mark L. Britton, Pharm D, mDiv, CDE, BC-ADM, FASHP
- Catherine Brown, MS, RD, CDE
- Marion J. Franz, MS, RD, LD, CDE
- Molly Gee, MEd, RD
- Nicola D. Guess, MPH, RD
- Cindy Halstenson, RD, LD, CDE
- Patricia H. Harper, MS, RD, LDN
- Arlene Monk, RD, LD, CDE
- Adam Reppert, MS, RD, LD, CDE
- Melissa Romano, MS, RD, LDN, CDE
- Cara E. Walcheck, RD, LD, CDE
- Hope S. Warshaw, MSc, RD, CDE, BC-ADM
- Deborah Cummins, PhD
- Kari Kren, MPH, RD
- Lisa Moloney, MS, RD, LD
- Paula Ziegler, PhD, RD
Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have an adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers.
- None of the workgroup members listed above disclosed potential conflicts.
- Project Resources
The following resources were developed:
- Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Guideline Presentation - this 43-slide PowerPoint presentation includes the recommendations and ratings for the EAL's 2014 Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guidelines. Ideal for use in staff meetings, in-service presentations and classes (not designed for the consumer). SKU: EAL240802. Click to order.