Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary DiseaseWelcome to the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) project site. This project was published in 2007. HIghlights of this project include:
- Target population of adults
- Four (4) sub-topic areas with 10 evidence analysis questions. Use the links on the left to access the questions and conclusions.
- Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guidelines were published in 2008.
- Several resources were developed. Please expand the section below to view them.
An update to this project is underway. Anticipated publication date is 2017.
- Project Team
The following individuals contributed their valuable time and resources to this project:
- Sandra I. Austhof, MS, RD, LD, CNSD, Chair
- Carrie Gleeksman, MS, RD
- Ainsley Malone, MS, RD, LD, CNSD
- Juliet M. Mancino, MS, RD, CDE
- Donna H. Mueller, PhD, RD, FADA
- Ann Neussendorfer, RD
- Irma A. Ishkanian, RD
- Margaret W. Lange, MNS, RD, LD
- Joanna Steinman, MA, RD, LDN
- Erica K. Gradwell, MS, RD
- Ellen K. Bowser, MS, RD, CSP
- Erica K. Gradwell, MS, RD
- Kimberly R. Larson, MS, RD, LN
- Margaret A. Maher, PhD, RD
- Ranae Rogerson, MS, RD, LDN
- Karen Basinger, RD
- Debbie Benner, MA, RD, CSR
- Jerrilyn Burrowes, PhD, RD, CND
- Louise Clement, MS, RD, CSR, LD
- Charles J. Foulks, MD, FACP, FACN
- Kathy Schiro Harvey, MS, RD, CSR
- Maria Karalis, MBA, RD, LDN
- Pamela Kent, RD
- Elizabeth Kern, MD, MS
- Nadiya Lakhani, RD, LD
- Maureen McCarthy, MPH, RD, CSR, LD
- Sharon R. Schatz, MS, RD, CSR, CDE
- Deborah Cummins, PhD
- Kari Kren, MPH, RD
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Commission on Dietetic Registration
Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have an adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers.
- Juliet Mancino.is employed at the Univesity of Pittsburgh and participated in grants/research for NIH-NIDDK and sanofiaventis.
- Margaret Lange is employed by Washington County Hospital and has participated in grants/resarch for Amgen and Quintiles. She also receive honorariums from World Congress and holds membership with MDA, AM Lung Association, and Asthma Coalition.
- Project Resources
The following resources were developed from this project:
- COPD Toolkit - This toolkit is designed to assist the registered dietitian in applying the Academy's COPD Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline. The toolkit includes material such as interactive sample documentation forms, encounter process instructions, outcomes monitoring forms, a case study and a client education handout. The toolkit incorporates the Academy's Nutrition Care Process and Standardized Language for patient care. Click to purchase.