Welcome to the Critical Illness project. This project is an update from the 2006-2007 project and guidelines. Highlights of this project include:
- Target population of both adults and children.
- The project covers ten (10) sub-topic areas. Use the links on the left to access the evidence analysis questions and conclusions
- Evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines were published in 2008.
- Expand the Project Resources section below for information on available products.
- Project Team
The following individuals contributed their valuable skills and expertise to this project.
- Ainsley M. Malone, MS, RD, LD, CNSD,Chair
- Pamela Charney, MS, RD, LD, CNSD
- Charlene D. Compher, PhD, RD, FADA, CNSD, LDN
- Dema Halasa-Esper, MS, RD, CNSD
- David C. Frankenfield, MS, RD
- Mary E. Hise Brown, PhD, RD, LD, CNSD
- Kendra K. Kattelmann, PhD, RD, LN
- Mary J.Marian, MS, RD, CNSD
- Susan R. Roberts, MS, RD, LD, CNSD
- Tami A. Piemonte, MS, RD, LD
- Patti S. Landers, PhD, RD, LD
- This evidence analysis portion of this project was funded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with support fromthe Dietitians in Nutrition Support Dietetic Practice Group.
- The Guideline was fully funded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Project Reources
The following resources were developed:
- Critical Illness Toolkit - this toolkit is designed to assist the registered dietitian in applying the Academy's Critical Illness Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline. The toolkit includes resources such as the MNT summary of recommendations for critical illness, MNT encounter process, MNT Critical Illness Data Collection Guides, nutrition support case studies, outcomes monitoring Excel forms, equations for predicting critical illness resting metabolic rate, and more. Click to order
- Critical Illness Guideline Presentation - this 55-slide MS PowerPoint presentation includes all the recommendations and ratings of the Critical Illness 2012 Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guideline. Ideal for you to use for meetings, in-service presentations and classes (not designed for the consumer). Click to order.