Athletic Performance_Nutrition (NAP) (2014)Welcome to the Nutrition in Athletic Performance EAL project. The 2014 is an update to the 2007 project.
The workgroup was tasked to review the current scientific literature pertaining to 9 specific sports nutrition questions divided into 3 broad sub-topics including Energy Balance and Body Composition; Training; and Recovery.
- Under energy balance and body composition, the research regarding negative energy balance on subsequent exercise performance, and timing, energy and macronutrient requirements to gain lean body mass were reviewed.
- Under nutrition during recovery from exercise, research regarding carbohydrate and protein (both separately and in conjunction) and their effects on recovery were reviewed.
- Under nutrition during training, the optimal blend of carbohydrate intake for training, the effects of training with limited carbohydrate availability, and the effect of low and high glycemic index foods on metabolism and exercise performance were reviewed.
Use the links on the left to access the evidence analysis work. Expand the Project Team sections to view a listing of the individuals who contributed their time and expertise to this project.
- Project Team (2014)
The following individuals contributed their valuable time and expertise to this project:
- Kim Crawford, Chair, PhD, RD, CSSD, LDN
- Matthew Beekley, RD, CSSD, FACSM, CSCS,
- Jacqueline Berning, PhD, RD, CSSD
- Karen Dolins, EdD, RD, CSSD, CD-N
- Jennifer Gibson, MS, RD, CSSD
- Kris Osterberg, MS, RD, CSSD
- Nancy Rodriguez, PhD, RD, FACSM
- Mujahed Khan, MBA, RDN
- Diane M. DellaValle, PhD, RDN
- Lori Brizee, MS, RDN, CSP
- Vijaya Juturu, PhD, RD, FACN
- Julie Kennel, PhD, RD, LD
- Holly Larson, MS, RD
- Nichole McGrath, MEd, RD, LDN
- Hope Paul, MS, RD, CDE, CNSC
- Joan Pleuss, MS, CDE, CD, RD
- Debra Waldoks, MPH, RD, CLC
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Disclosures of Potential Conflict of Interest: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have an adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers.
- Jacqueline Berning - Consultant for Gaorade Company
- Kris Osterberg - Formerly employed by Gatorade Company